Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Do Our Writing Niches Change with the Times?

Do our writing niches change with the times or simply adjust as we expand our horizons? 

Although I've written my "Country Kitchen" cooking column for more than 40 years, I've branched out into other areas:

  • Due to the necessity of earning a living
  • Markets available
  • My changing interests
  • New technology that introduces new subjects
  • Living in different parts of the country
I've discovered that I must adapt, whether it's writing about the same topic and tweaking it or writing about something new.

For instance, when I started writing for publication, we hardly ever heard of Alzheimer's disease.  However, both my mom and aunt developed this illness and I became their main caregiver.  Through this experience, I've been able to write, blog and speak about this illness and help others cope. 

At another point in my life, after requests for quilts from customers, I turned my sewing business into a quiltmaking business and then began writing on that topic for magazines and online publishers.

You will find new niches cropping up in your life as new opportunities open up.  You'll leave some niches or come back to them.  You'll develop a style and audience that will begin to be recognized as yours.

What niches have you found?

You Can Write for Niche Markets
Niche Marketing for Writers, Speakers, and Entrepreneurs
Awesome Article Marketing: Dominate Your Niche and Get Rich
Blog Profits: Insider Secrets to Making Money with Powerful Niche Blogs

No comments: