Friday, December 15, 2006

Creative Writing Challenge from Cathy's Blog

Cathy, from Cathy's Rants and Ramblin's, issued a challenge for creative writing....a story, essay, a poem... ending with Ian Fleming's quote "I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."

A number of bloggers and authors decided to participate. You'll find the links here and below to their creations.

"What should I write?" I wondered. Then a poem came to mind as I pondered on Ian Fleming's quote and it's meaning to my life.

TIME

By Mary Emma Allen

When time passes quickly,
I wish for more hours;
I've often said I need
Forty-eight in my day.

Would I accomplish more
With the added time?
Would I find more to do
Or stretch the present?

A pondering on time could
Take up so much time
That I don't have time to do
What I want to do
With that time!

Such as writing more, sketching more,
reading more, walking more,
praying more,
being with family more.

So...I've decided to enjoy
the twenty-four hours I have and
"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them!"

To read Cathy's delightful story about Spooner and find, at the end, the links to all the other participants' blogs and responses to this challenge, check it out here....

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Mary Emma, this poem was a gem, as I knew it would be. And so true....Oh how I wish we had more hours in our day.

Lovely! Thank you so much for doing this with us!

Mary Emma Allen said...

Thank you, Cathy, for your comments. It was very enjoyable participating in your Writing Challenge.

Patient Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Emma, sorry it took me a while to read your writing challenge but I made it! Nicely done. I've always found time very provocative--as you've illustrated in your piece. At "times" I've longed for more of it and on the flipside I've grown terribly frustrated while waiting for things to come.

Perhaps you sum it up best in your last stanza in enjoying life (more or less) in the moment?

Soul of the Rose said...

Lovely poem. Thank you for sharing.